Disaster Recovery and the keys to surviving one was introduced in our last post on this subject. This post will give you the tools to create an effective Recovery Plan that will allow you to survive a disaster that befalls your business.
Here are 5 Keys To Creating A Disaster Recovery Plan
1st Key: Understand the Implications for your Business
Conduct a Business Impact Analysis. How could a potential disaster - small or large - impact your bottom line?
• Identify potential events
• Calculate the likelihood that the event may occur
• Quantify the potential impact on your business
2nd Key: Keep Employees Safe and Informed
Employees are your most valuable asset.
Do you have employee contact info?
Secure employee records – social security numbers, paystubs.
Create a disaster recovery communication plan for employees:
• How will you ensure that all your employees are safe?
• How will you reach them (phone, email)?
• When should you contact them?
3rd Key: Keep Customers Engaged and Informed
How you engage with customers will have an impact on future business.
Do you handle sensitive customer data?
• Is it safe, how will you let customers know?
• You may be required to let customers know depending on your business/industry. How will customers reach you? What will you tell them?
4th Key: Ensure Continuity of Operations
Your business runs on applications, computers, & networks. Can you run your business even when systems are down?
• How can you eliminate or reduce downtime?
Do you have backup systems or facilities?
• Are you able to recover your most valuable data and continue to work as normal?
• How can employees continue to access your network?
5th Key: Financial Impact & Readiness
Prepare a financial backup plan.
How are you protecting yourself and your business financially?
Is your business in compliance with the regulatory requirements for your industry?
Are you properly insured and do you know how to work with the insurance company once a disaster occurs?
Take me back to the main Disaster Recovery page.
So What’s Next?
Create an Action Plan by using these Keys to guide you:
1. Understand the Implications for Your Business
2. Keep Employees Safe and Informed
3. Keep Customers Engaged and Informed
4. Ensure Continuity of Operations
5. Financial Impact & Readiness
DTS InfoTech Can Help
We’re really good at this disaster recover thing. Seriously, we are. On the other hand, most small businesses do not have the technical resources to understand all this geek stuff. If this describes you, we can help. Just saying.
If you would like more information please give us a call, we’re always happy to chat and the call is free!
Dedicated to your success,
General Manager and Compliance Officer
dts|infotech . . . computer networks that work